Are you familiar with the Gingo-Teague tribe? Did you read about the Civil War Battle of Cockle Creek in school? Can you locate Snotty Ridge on a map? These and other pressing questions can be easily answered after a walking or biking tour of Chincoteague. Our little island has stories to tell to those who want to know.
A self-guided tour of some locations would set your teeth on edge – but not here. Chincoteague Island makes for the perfect walking or biking vacation. With Assateague Island in the mix, you have the perfect blend of wilderness and small town to explore. There are miles of well-maintained, low-impact trails all over both Chincoteague and Assateague. Why, you even can follow a trail all the way out to Assateague Lighthouse!
Walking and Biking Tours of Chincoteague
See the past through the lens of the present with a walking tour of Historic downtown Chincoteague.
- Learn about the island’s original inhabitants and namesake, the native Gingo-Teague.
- Discover the location of the island’s original Firehouse and Old Town Jail.
- Find out how neighborhoods like Deep Hole, Chicken City, and Snotty Ridge got their names.
- Uncover the the colorful history of those who have helped to put Chincoteague on the map.
- Learn about Chincoteague’s role in the Civil War.
- Visit the local inn where Marguerite Henry worked on her famous “Misty Of Chincoteague” book – our sister inn, in fact!
Self-Guided Chincoteague Tours
“That’s all well and good,” you may be saying, “but where do I find out all this stuff in order to tour?”
Great question – and the answer is a free, downloadable pdf of the above self-guided Chincoteague tours! These fun and informative maps will help you to find your way to all the best points of interest on Chincoteague.
You say you didn’t bring your bike along? No problem! One of the many amenities you’ll find at Island Manor House are bikes you can borrow for day use!
Our Chincoteague inn is also more than happy to help set up guided Chincoteague tours for you, if you wish. There are boating tours, wildlife tours, and more. Just let us know what you’re after and we’ll do the rest!