Captain Bob’s 2nd annual Ladies’ Floozie Flounder Tournament, Chincoteague Island’s only fishing tournament for women, benefiting breast cancer education and research, is scheduled for June 10th, 11th, & 12th, 2016!
Fishing tournaments aren’t all that rare, even if you winnow it down to flounder fishing tournaments – but a Ladies only Floozie Flounder Tournament, now that’s something.
Captain Bob’s Marina has hosted their Flounder King Tournament for many years and, while it hasn’t been restricted to men only, the contestants have been predominantly male, despite the host of talented women fishers out there.
Read the rest of this page »
Does this warm weather make you wanna put on your sunscreen, grab your pole and some bait? If so, come on over to Chincoteague next month for Captain Bob’s Marina Flounder Tournament! Taking place from May 3rd through May 12th this year, there is no registration deadline, simply register before you start fishing! Here are some rules to keep in mind:
- Registration fee is $35
- You can fish on the shore or off a boat.
- There are 10 days to try and catch the biggest fish. You must fish using a hook and line and follow state and federal regulations in regards to size and creel limits, which is 16″ minimum in length with a creel/bag limit of four fish.
- The tournament takes place in Chincoteague and Assateague waters only. Fishing outside the inlet will get you disqualified.
- Daily weigh-ins take place between 1 and 6 p.m. The final weigh-in will be at 1 p.m. on May 12th.
- The winner is the fisherman with the greatest daily weight of three fish or less.
- Five cash prizes will be given
- Register online or via mail from Captain Bob’s website.
Not a competitive fishermen? Maybe you’re more of an armature? Consider chartering a fishing trip during your visit to Chincoteague. Summertime is the best season for fishing on Chincoteague. A charter boat Captain knows all the best places to cast a line. Whether you want to go deep sea fishing or fish for flounder in the inlet, these Captains know where to take you.
Lodging for Your Trip to Chincoteague
Whether you are here for the Flounder Tournament, some recreational fishing or just a getaway to the Virginia coast, Island Manor Bed and Breakfast has superior lodging at competitive prices. Check out our lovely, historical property and enjoy a great night’s rest in one of our guestrooms.
Chincoteague and Assateauge Islands fully awaken in May. All shops and restaurants that were closed for the winter re-open. Scenic cruises to view the wild ponies of Assateague Island and charter fishing cruises resume after a winter hiatus. The weather is mild, the crowds slim. It’s a wonderful time to spend a few days at Island Manor Chincoteague Island Bed and Breakfast.
There are several fun events on the community calendar in May, 2012:
- Chincoteague Seafood Festival, May 5. A simple spring tradition of good food, good music, and good company.
- Captain Bob’s Marina Flounder King Tournament, May 11-20. Anglers, get ready to catch some big fish.
- Migratory Bird Celebration, May 12. Celebrate the spring migration at Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.
- Second Saturday Art Stroll, May 12. Shops and art galleries stay open late and host special events.
- Acoustic Music Series, Big Wide Grin, May 26. A 3 Peace Band, soulfully acoustic. Sure to be a fabulous show.
- Blessing of the Fleet, May 27. Remember Chincoteague’s roots as a fishing village.
Help us celebrate the arrival of spring with one of the above events, or simple come for a few days of peace and quiet. Bring binoculars and scan the skies and shores for migrating waterfowl. Bring a good book and a good friend.
Call a 1-800-852-1505 or visit the reservations page of Island Manor House, an Assateague Bed and Breakfast.