Does this warm weather make you wanna put on your sunscreen, grab your pole and some bait? If so, come on over to Chincoteague next month for Captain Bob’s Marina Flounder Tournament! Taking place from May 3rd through May 12th this year, there is no registration deadline, simply register before you start fishing! Here are some rules to keep in mind:
- Registration fee is $35
- You can fish on the shore or off a boat.
- There are 10 days to try and catch the biggest fish. You must fish using a hook and line and follow state and federal regulations in regards to size and creel limits, which is 16″ minimum in length with a creel/bag limit of four fish.
- The tournament takes place in Chincoteague and Assateague waters only. Fishing outside the inlet will get you disqualified.
- Daily weigh-ins take place between 1 and 6 p.m. The final weigh-in will be at 1 p.m. on May 12th.
- The winner is the fisherman with the greatest daily weight of three fish or less.
- Five cash prizes will be given
- Register online or via mail from Captain Bob’s website.
Not a competitive fishermen? Maybe you’re more of an armature? Consider chartering a fishing trip during your visit to Chincoteague. Summertime is the best season for fishing on Chincoteague. A charter boat Captain knows all the best places to cast a line. Whether you want to go deep sea fishing or fish for flounder in the inlet, these Captains know where to take you.
Lodging for Your Trip to Chincoteague
Whether you are here for the Flounder Tournament, some recreational fishing or just a getaway to the Virginia coast, Island Manor Bed and Breakfast has superior lodging at competitive prices. Check out our lovely, historical property and enjoy a great night’s rest in one of our guestrooms.
Some of the best fishing along the Virginia coast Coast is found in the waters surrounding Chincoteague Island. Fishing either in the inland waterways or venturing out into the deeper waters of the Atlantic Ocean is bound to be a fun and productive experience. Check the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries web site for regulations.
If Surf Fishing is your preference, that is done on Assateague Island. Please note: a Virginia saltwater license is required for fishing on the beach and fishing is prohibited on beaches with lifeguard towers or designated surfing zones.
Try night fishing! Obtain an after-hours fishing permit from the visitors center for night time fishing. In general, the species you can expect to catch include:
- Spring: Flounder (the largest flounder are typically caught at this time), Striped Bass, and Drumfish.
- Summer: Flounder, Trout, Croaker, Sea Bass, Kingfish, and Spot. Blue Fin and Yellow Fin Tuna offshore.
- Fall: Striped Bass and Drumfish.
Charter Boat fishing is also an option. These captains know all the best places to go! Whether you want to go out deep sea fishing or fish for flounder in the bays, the charter boat captains here know where to take you. See a list of charter boat companies on the island.
If you are in need of some supplies for your fishing trip, there are multiple bait and tackle shops on the island. Here is a list:
- Capt. Bob’s Marina 2477 Main Street, 757-336-6654
- Captain Steve’s 6527 Maddox Blvd., 757-336-0569
- Snug Harbor 7536 East Side Road, 757-336-6176
Lastly, you can rent a boat. Whether you want something as small as a kayak or 16′ fiberglass boat, or a pontoon, there is a rental option for you. Plus, the experienced fisherman renting you vessels usually have good advice about where to throw your crab pot or drop a line. Captian Bob’s Marina or Snug Harbor also rent boats.
With all this in mind, you will still need somewhere to rest your head at night when not casting your net! Consider staying at our Chincoteague Inn, where you will be treated to superior hospitality and comfort.