There’s a lot of history to be found on Chincoteague Island. 1650 saw the island’s first land grant, with Europeans settling here in the late 1700’s. By 1838, 26 homes dotted the island. Most were simple, rustic log plank homes, not designed to survive the passage of centuries. Yet one did.
Of those original 26 homes built on Chincoteague, only Captain Timothy Hill’s house remains. The house features a now rare example of early long plank construction and was the site of Chincoteague’s first recorded murder. Yet, by the 1980’s, it was abandoned, forgotten, and almost torn down.
Read the rest of this page »