What are your goals for visiting our charming little island?
Depending on what you want to accomplish, you can schedule a visit for this Spring.
If seeing the pony roundup is your main concern – you will need to book for July. However, perhaps you are simply looking for a beach vacation that doesn’t involve mega-resorts and inflated prices. If charming shops, restaurants and southern charm all in a natural beach setting is more your pace, come visit us in Chincoteague this April!
On April 13, the Second Saturday art stroll is taking place.
The Art Stroll takes place at participating galleries and shops around the Island from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Come out to meet local artists, see exhibits of a wide variety of visual arts, listen to live music and more.
Participating Galleries and Shops
Visit these galleries and shops during Second Saturday to enjoy demonstrations by visiting artists, performances by musicians, readings and book signings by authors and wine and cheese tastings.
- Island Butterfly – 4107 Main St.
- Guinevere’s – 4076 Main St.
- Flying Fish Gallery – 4086 Main St.
- Island Arts – 6196 Maddox Blvd.
- Old Neptune Books – 4076 Main St.
- Sundial Books – 4065 Main St.
- Working Artists Studio – Maddox Blvd.
- Osprey Nest Gallery – 4096 Main St.
- And more!
More Springtime Activities in Chincoteague
Hiking on Assateague Island: This is a great time to hit the trails in Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. The temperature is cooler, there are less visitors in the park and birds are abundant.
The Wildlife Loop is a 3¼ mile round-trip route around a soil management area. It is a great place to observe wildlife, especially waterfowl and wading birds. It is open to walkers and bikers throughout the day, but vehicles are only permitted to drive on it from 3:00 P.M. till dusk.
Check back for our next blog with a full list of hiking trails in the Wildlife Refuge!
Chincoteague and Assateauge Islands fully awaken in May. All shops and restaurants that were closed for the winter re-open. Scenic cruises to view the wild ponies of Assateague Island and charter fishing cruises resume after a winter hiatus. The weather is mild, the crowds slim. It’s a wonderful time to spend a few days at Island Manor Chincoteague Island Bed and Breakfast.
There are several fun events on the community calendar in May, 2012:
- Chincoteague Seafood Festival, May 5. A simple spring tradition of good food, good music, and good company.
- Captain Bob’s Marina Flounder King Tournament, May 11-20. Anglers, get ready to catch some big fish.
- Migratory Bird Celebration, May 12. Celebrate the spring migration at Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.
- Second Saturday Art Stroll, May 12. Shops and art galleries stay open late and host special events.
- Acoustic Music Series, Big Wide Grin, May 26. A 3 Peace Band, soulfully acoustic. Sure to be a fabulous show.
- Blessing of the Fleet, May 27. Remember Chincoteague’s roots as a fishing village.
Help us celebrate the arrival of spring with one of the above events, or simple come for a few days of peace and quiet. Bring binoculars and scan the skies and shores for migrating waterfowl. Bring a good book and a good friend.
Call a 1-800-852-1505 or visit the reservations page of Island Manor House, an Assateague Bed and Breakfast.